Saturday, May 23, 2009

We only had a few hours before our flight home, so we had time for only one thing. The airport is on a separate island. On this island is "The Big Buddha". And I mean Big Buddha. To get there you must take a 25 minute cable car ride, which is a pretty long ride. For fun we got the glass bottomed one. That was interesting.

This picture shows us crossing from one hill to another. Probably had to do this 5 or 6 times to get there.


So here is a picture of the Big Buddha from afar. Even bigger than I thought it would be.


Of course, when you get off there is the big shopping area with restaurants. They also had this, the "Wishing Shrine". We saw these in Kyoto. You write your wish down and tie it to the shrine.
Here we are at the base of the Big Buddha. Look at the stairs. Where are the escalators??!?!?!? Remember the day before when we walked down Victoria Peak? My legs weren't ready for this. We made it up, but holy smokes.


When we got to the top. We were surprised to find that it was built in 1992. So, not so historic. They did have a relic of Buddha there. We learned that Buddha's bones were separted into 7,000 pieces. This temple has one of the very tiny bones. Sure enough there were some monks by the relic praying and worshipping.
Another fun and exhausting trip. It is was well worth it. And I didn't have a wallet weighing me down.

1 comment:

Grandpa said...

Wait a minute. I thought I was the Buddha. Oops, I meant Buddy. Oh well, no steps to get to me for a hug.